Tuesday 30 January 2007

Tunes!

Okay, I think I can actually play a couple of tunes now. It's quite exciting to get to the point where I can go and have a crack at anything in Liestmann's section of introductory tunes and play them so that I can recognise that I'm playing more or less what's written on the page. It's about the same standard I was when I started having recorder lessons I think - only my actual ability to read music is significantly better now than it was then.

Whether my piping technique is actually up to that level or not is something entirely different though, it's quite possible that my increased musical literacy is covering up for that. There are times when my fingers just do the wrong thing, and there are a few moments when they start attempting recorder fingerings, although fortunately this doesn't happen very often because the whole feel of the instrument is completely different.

I think if I do continue with this piping business and get my own set though, I'd like one with a bit lower pitch. At about high F# and above, this set's rather shrill, and I've never liked playing hugely high instruments anyway, which is why I like treble and tenor recorders so much - and even treble goes a bit high really. Shame the bass isn't agile enough for some of the really good treble music, because being able to play it all an octave lower would suit me very well indeed.

But enough recorder ramblings. It may definitely be worthwhile investigating what it's like to play a D or C set.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi PP

Thanks for stopping by my page today. I know I didn't mention Capital One's employment policy this time, but I'm sure I made a comment about it when it actually happened.